Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Windows To The Past

It looks like I haven't been very active at all for the past few months. Nothing to report. Just life going by without so much to talk about. People. Places. Experiences. All passing by. Becoming nothing but faint memories that pass away in time. I know this sounds really morbid but I promise it is only for effect that I say such things.

The past year, well, the past three years really have all been a huge adventure. With everything in life changing it seems that these past three years have passed without a chance for me to catch my breath. I've seen so many different places. Experienced both wonderful and dreadful things. And. I have had people walk into my life and others run away. All of these things for an amazing adventure. And while I have made some new discoveries along the way, there are some things that I just have to hold on to.

You see, as we grow and change and start to figure out who we are, we discard parts of the past that we no longer associate with. Much like a hoarder that stashes away various objects, we run out of "rooms" to store everything. Sometimes, throwing out the old parts that we simply have no use for is tough. But when we are rummaging through the parts of ourselves, we have to be careful not to toss out parts that are still useful. Sure, these things are from the past. Why shouldn't we just throw them away? They are no longer relevant...or are they?

Throughout this journey of life, I lost sight of where I had come from. I forgot the person I used to be almost completely. I lost sight of who I had wanted to be at one time. Settling in to a stagnate life with no memories of advancement and no hope for the future. As I started to collect dust like some antique on a shelf, I was picked up and someones mighty breath blew the corrosion from all about me. Memories started to race back into me with one gentle phrase echoing through the corridors of my mind, "It is good that you have continued to move on, but do do not forget where you came from."

When we forget what we used to be completely, where we are now loses its value, and the future that is in store for us loses a little of its grandeur. Where did you come from? What did you escape? Who helped you along the way? These memories that still exist inside you, don't forfeit them. Keep them. Renew them occasionally. They will keep you humble. They will keep you honest. They will help mold you into the creation that you were always destined to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment